Monday, June 30, 2014

To Angelise's banana bread

      In looking back over my posts from the last few weeks, I fear I have given the impression that life down here right now is nothing but jumping precariously from crisis to crisis and wrestling through each day. There have been challenges lately and things have been hard, but that is not the whole story. There are wonderful things going on daily as well. One of those wonderful things is Angelise's banana bread. Angelise is the woman who keeps our guest house running day to day and she's amazing. One day I hope to have half the sense and spirit she does. I also hope to write more about her, if I can figure out how to do it well.
      Among other things, Angelise is a fabulous cook. Case in point, her banana bread. Sometimes she makes it in loaf form. Sometimes she makes it in muffin form. Sometimes when I get home it's cooling on the counter. Sometimes we keep it in our refrigerator (Yes, we have one. We are fancy.). In any form, it is one of the most delicious foods I have ever tasted. It is sweet, and moist and perfect on my tongue. I have an embarrassing tendency to squeal in delight when I find it in the kitchen. Yesterday I ate five pieces and then had to go hide in my room because I could. Not. Stop. This banana bread is in and of itself a compelling reason to come visit us in Haiti.

No comments:

Post a Comment