Friday, July 4, 2014

Missions Moment

     In recent weeks, I have inadvertently started running an unofficial kids program in the afternoons after I finish seeing patients. We color, and sing and laugh a lot. It is a lot of fun, although it significantly slows down the rate of my paperwork completion. Case in point- there was a half hour break between typing the above sentences as we divvied up coloring books and picture books, discussed the rules for their use and then discussed what we found in the books. We had conversations about vultures and bears and why you absolutely do not stick your fingers between the blades of a running fan.
    Sometimes I over romanticize these moments, caught up in the beauty and grace (or my perception of the poetry and grace) of them.  Last night was one of those times. We were having the opening session for our annual conference, and one of the little girls I have a particular soft spot for was sitting with me. During the worship time she wrapped her arms around my waist and hugged me, as she sang along with the music. I was entranced by the beauty and sweetness of the moment, totally caught up in the grace of it. Then she stuck her fingers in her nose and wiped the residue on my arm and I spent the next hour and a half wishing for soap and water. Moment lost.
 

No comments:

Post a Comment