Friday, January 16, 2015

Coming back

        Back to Haiti means back to daily drama and regular reminders to count my blessings. It means back to patients recounting stories of children they've lost and newlywed parents facing the loss of a child. It means daily reminders of all the complicated ways poverty assaults my friends and loved ones.
     Back to Haiti also means a three year old running across the yard, arms flung wide to greet me with a hug. It means MOHI students calling my name, telling me how the haven't seen me in a long time and how much they missed me. It means a 17 month old in our nutrition supplementation program who was fussy and undernourished six months ago toddling around and grinning wide on his follow up visit. It means welcome hugs and the overwhelming beauty of Haitian hospitality.
     In the storm of emotions that was my first week back, the clinic and I received some particular blessings. On Tuesday we were given several tote-size boxes of medications from friends in Gressier. Our whole staff celebrated when we found boxes of medicines we had been running low on!


Nurse Ruth and I were thankful for Liz and Lina's help sorting and inventorying our new supplies.



     As previously mentioned, I also have a beautiful new bedroom and bathroom. Two windows make for a welcome cross breeze and new shelves provide me lots of space for my beloved books and handmade art projects from the kids!


     
      For those who've sent prayers and supportive emails and Facebook message as I've transitioned back, you're the best! I cannot overstate how welcome they were. This cross-cultural life can be intense and your support is a gift. Thank you.
     

     


1 comment:

  1. nice blog
    "Your spine have chiropractic professionals who work on the human problems (i.e. head ache, back pain, neck pain, low back pain, numbness). Our practices are unique by delivering high quality chiropractic adjustments within a friendly environment" />
    http://yourspine.hk/vertebral-subluxation-complex/

    ReplyDelete