Wednesday, June 26, 2013

Moments of Grace

    Life is hard here. Really hard. All the time. My heart is usually (always) aching over something going on. In the midst of the stresses of being always surrounded by people, of straining to understand what is being said around me and of attempting to love well, I have been learning to soak in moments of grace as they are dispensed. I need to consciously remember that even here, life is full of grace and that when I seek it out, I will see it.
   Yesterday was particularly full of those moments.  A team member playing guitar and singing on the front porch, one of our boys grinning huge as he plays the bongos, because he always grins huge when music is involved. The Holy Spirit is almost tangibly present in that moment. Watermelon juice dripping down my chin in the neighborhood we visited, a gift from the people whose house we were at. My favorite Haitian food and drink in one meal and the knowing smiles from the girls who made it when they saw my face. A bracelet made for me by one of the girls who comes to our house. Laughing with the same girl as we ride down the highway in the bed of a pick-up in the rain. A tiny boy curled up on my lap, head on my shoulder and his thumb in his mouth.
    Today held a stark reminder of how difficult life is here, how much suffering goes on all around me. These moments of grace give me something to cling to when hope threatens to be overwhelmed.



No comments:

Post a Comment