Monday, October 28, 2013

Time in Ti Goave

I got to spend this weekend visiting friends from Petit Goave and some of the surrounding villages. What grace abounded! There was overwhelming hospitality with delicious food and excellent company.  A chance to see friends dear to my heart, some of whom are now taller than me (not, actually a difficult feat, but it means they are growing). Days filled with laughter and memories and a precious little girl running across a stream to say hello, soaking the bottom of her pants and ignoring the scolding of her caretakers.
There were harsh times too, and time spent with these friends always reminds me why high quality healthcare matters. A missing face and no one knows where she’s gone. A mama of twins, who has apparently had a stroke since since I was last there, and is now unable to walk, speak or stand. With a blood pressure well over 200, this likely could have been avoided if she had had access to blood pressure medications This is what my heart beats for, because you should not, in this day and age go without the basic healthcare you need and ten year old girls should not have to run their homes because their mama cannot.

                 I left my time in Ti Goave renewed on a number of levels. Lots of sleep and fabulous food fueled my body. Ever present reminders of how much I have yet to learn about this language and culture reinforced my desire to learn more about this culture. Seeing again how minimal or no access to healthcare magnifies the suffering of people I care about refueled my desire to see healthcare happen for those without. 
               Will you join with me in continuing to pray for my friends in Ti Goave? First in prayers of praise for the many ways they glorify and reflect our beautiful Lord, but also that He would supply their daily needs, using us as if He sees fit? Thank you.

No comments:

Post a Comment