Saturday, May 24, 2014

Bits and pieces from the week

"Here is the world. Beautiful and terrible things will happen. Don't be afraid."
Frederick Buechner

  •      My first patient of the week was an elderly gentleman with back pain whose son carried him into the clinic because the gentleman could not navigate our muddy yard.
  •          Chikungunya continues its rampage throughout the country, causing an enormous amount of suffering. Please keep praying
  •          A little girl to her dad, after I finish my lecture on not giving anyone else her antibiotics “That means I don’t have to share with my sister!”
  •          Mobile clinic continues to go well, and since it is held on the same site as our St. Etienne school, I get an adorable audience of small people peeking in the back of the bus during recess and school dismissal.
  •          There are a couple pictures in the main clinic showing proper tooth brushing techniques. We had an impromptu dental hygiene class one afternoon as some of the girls from our elementary school took the opportunity to tell me how they brush their teeth. We also discussed how part of protecting your teeth is that you do not in fact need multiple lollipops a day.
  •          The last several weeks have had a higher than average number of moderately and severely malnourished little ones in our Thozin clinic. These babies are tricky to manage and often require more than our clinic can give them. Join me in prayer for them and their mamas? Life is harsh here.
  •          One of our gatekeepers is also a midwife. Yesterday afternoon he was telling me about some of what he does for his patients, how he treats them and cares for them.  Talking to people who are passionate about their work is such an incredible and specific joy.
  •          To my great delight, watermelon season has started.  It is possible that watermelon is the most delicious food in the whole world, especially when you are sweaty and thirsty.
  •          For my Dieunison fans: He came waddling into the clinic Monday afternoon with something round stuck under his shirt, telling me he was in labor. I told him to go to the hospital.




No comments:

Post a Comment