Monday, May 19, 2014

My soapbox

    The chair I sit in when I am holding clinic is a little bit short for the height of the desk, a little bit inadequate to the task that it’s being asked to perform. We piled a couple of boxes of soap atop the chair, in an effort to make clinic go a little smoother.  I perch on the soapboxes and I talk to my patients about what ails them.

    Recently, my soapboxes have started coming apart. Bits of things that were once solid and certain tumble onto the floor as I talk to my patients and learn more about their lives. My patients will often halt in what they are telling me to hand the bits and pieces back, dusted off. Together, we put the pieces back together. The box is a little different shape now, but the better suited for the task because of our efforts together.

No comments:

Post a Comment