Tuesday, May 6, 2014

Great Expectations

         In the afternoons after I am finished seeing patients I have this long and growing to-do list. There are inventories to be caught up on, medicine bottles to be cleaned out, emails and Facebook messages to answer, and research to be done. Just thinking about it makes me panic a bit. Almost every afternoon I have the wild hope that this will be the day that I finally catch up on my list and perhaps even address the stack of papers multiplying on my desk.
        Then I step outside of the clinic to get a drink of water, or to eat lunch. I see some of the little girls who come to MOHI to get water for their homes, and I cannot resist stopping to giggle with them for a moment.  There are preschoolers in the yard who come over running over with hugs and shouts of "you!" A staff member has a question or needs something from me. Some of my buddies from the elementary school have a story to tell me. Construction is going on and I go see the latest changes going on around campus.  I start laughing with the people I work with and 45 minutes zip by.
      The next thing I know, the afternoon is almost over. My papers are definitely not sorted, the bottles are still not washed, the inventories are still behind and the emails remain unanswered. Again. So, I sigh to myself and hope for tomorrow.All of this to say, if I take awhile to answer you, I am sorry. I'm just really, really good at getting distracted.

No comments:

Post a Comment