Saturday, January 11, 2014

Year 2 Begins!

                My first couple days back in Haiti have been an absolute whirlwind. I got back to Grand Goave Tuesday afternoon. a large medical team came in on Sunday, so they were hard at work when I got there and I was greeted with the sight of a line of precious babies, waiting with theirs mamas to be seen by the providers.  If you know me, you know that there are few things that can make me smile like the sight of a baby, so I was more than happy to jump in and cuddle some little ones. You know, to help out the team. J
                Wednesday we went to Bassin Bleu. I am happy to report it is as breathtaking in January as it is in September. Thursday we held clinic in Thozin (the site of our main clinic) and in St. Etienne (up in the mountains). Initially I was going to work in Thozin, but then we got a call that our St. Etienne clinic had a couple of hundred people in line to be seen and could we please send reinforcements? The view from St. Etienne is absolutely spectacular and I jumped at any chance to go up there. 
Friday morning a small group of us visited the local hospital in order to make contact to feel out future connections and opportunities. I am cautiously optimistic at the thought of what this new opportunity could mean for expanding our clinic services. Friday afternoon we did some screening and community health teaching in the neighborhood by our guesthouse. Spending time with people, talking with moms and laughing at children’s’ antics was a precious end to wonderfully exhausting week.
                In the midst of the flurry of activity have been so very many small and dear moments. The welcome where I was literally lifted up and swung around the clinic. The light reflected on the pools of Bassin Bleu, and swimming under a waterfall. The previously mentioned birthday cakes, both made just because people knew I love those specific flavors. Chances to catch up with people dear to my heart. This week left me overwhelmed with gratitude at the goodness and grace that permeate my life right now.

                We have another medical team coming in on Tuesday to unpack our new mobile health bus and do some clinics. I am so excited at all the opportunities for this new year. Will you join me in praying for wisdom and discernment about all of these opportunities, and also in prayers of gratitude for the incredible joy 2014 has already brought? As always, thanks friends. 

No comments:

Post a Comment