Saturday, February 22, 2014

Back in business

                This was my first full week of regular clinic since I got back to MOHI in January. Inventory was necessary, but being back with my patients was absolutely lovely. As any of my former roommates can attest, I have always preferred being with people to organization!
We had a number of follow up appointments, or as we call them, randevous this week in the clinic. We give out cards for randevous when we need to monitor a patient’s blood pressure, or their response to a new prescription, or for children’s height and weight rechecks. One of the particular joys of follow up appointments is that by definition, it means I see the same patients over and over. I get the chance to chat with them about their families and their lives. This is an opportunity for me to learn about the community I live in, and how to be a better part of it.
One family I was particularly excited to see this week includes two year old twin girls who come in monthly to ensure they are growing and gaining weight. The girls are a little leery of me, but I have a budding friendship with their mama and grandma. It was a delight to see them again, to see that their mama is following up as we ask her to and taking an active part in their care. This was their first visit since I got back, and I was happy to see that the girls are slowly gaining weight, not something I can take for granted here.

                Speaking of thesetwins, we had a string of malnourished and undernourished little ones in clinic this week. Will you join with me in prayers for grace and discernment as we consider our next steps towards providing better care for these precious little ones?

No comments:

Post a Comment