Tuesday, February 11, 2014

Conversations with my boys

     I have written before  about the pair of brothers I have fallen in love with since coming to MOHI, Dieury and Dieunison. Conversations with these boys are always a highlight of my day. I love talking to them about life and what they are thinking about. We discuss everything from what music they like to names for any future children I may have. Dieury is so serious about so many things, lecturing me on my language skills and the appropriate length for my shorts, in between assuring me that I am old enough to have a boyfriend now, so I should go ahead and get on it. Dieunison makes me laugh until my sides ache.  He has been helping with inventory in the clinic, counting things and putting them in bags, giving us lots of time to chat.

Snippets from recent conversations include:

“Leah, my birthday is May 9th. What are you going to get me?”

“Leah, my birthday is May 9th. Don’t forget.”

“Leah, you need to take care of those or someone could get poked in the eye.” (Referring to sharps in the clinic. For the record, we do dispose of them in an appropriate manner, he just wanted to give me his opinion on the subject.)

“Leah, ask Pastor Kevin if I can drive the 4-wheeler.” (No.)

“In America do you have electricity all the time?”

“Pastor Kevin, my birthday is May 9th.”

“I’m going to be a doctor when I grow up.” (30 seconds later.) “I’m going to be an airplane pilot when I grow up.”

  And finally, lest anyone forget:
“My birthday is May 9th.” 



No comments:

Post a Comment