Tuesday, April 29, 2014

Driving

      Recently, I have started learning to drive in Haiti. If you have ever ridden in Haiti (or ridden with me in the States), you know that it is, for lack of a better term, an adventure. Traffic expectations are different in Haiti than they are in the States, which can make driving here as a foreigner a bit nerve wracking.
     This morning I drove from where I live to the MOHI main campus, which is on a major road. The drive involves crossing a bumpy, mostly dry river bed and I was a little nervous to try this for the first time. I'm a  South Florida girl and I don't drive well on hills. My knuckles were pretty white on the steering wheel, and I had a moment of concern when a large truck was passing right by us, but we made it. The goal is that I will be able to be quite a bit more independent once I can drive without instructions. We shall see.

Displaying DSCN5845.JPG

Now I just need to conquer the mountain roads!

No comments:

Post a Comment