Friday, August 29, 2014

Friendship

"It is a wonderful thing and a strengthening of faith that two souls differing from each other in place, nationality, language, obedience and age should have been thus led into a delightful friendship" 
C.S. Lewis 


   Cross-cultural friendships are hard. Period. Two people coming from completely different, sometimes opposing ways of viewing the world affects everything from food choices to laundry. It is especially difficult when the people don't speak the same native language, or there are major power differentials between them. I believe these relationships are possible, if people are willing to do the necessary work. I also believe these relationships need to be walked out carefully, prayerfully, especially on the part of the person coming in with the power balance on their side.
        Ironically since I am an introvert, relationships are the lifeblood of who I am, and an integral part of my time in Haiti. This culture does community in a way that my individualistic, American mind finds hard to fathom, but I am learning. I am learning to allow the people around me into my joys and my sorrows, my triumphs and my disappointments
      With the Edmes in the States, I have been the only blan around MOHI. When not busy bemoaning the states of international affairs, I have been incredibly blessed by the people I work with and their care for me. One of our translators comes into the clinic every morning to make sure I am okay. One of my coworkers shares his food with me when he knows his wife made my favorites, and runs interference for pushy patients. The woman who runs our guesthouse listens patiently as I stumble through relating clinic stories every day. The groundskeepers and overnight watchman make a point of checking on me every night before they settle down for the evening. This time with these friends and coworkers has been brimming with opportunities for me to experience the truth of the above C.S. Lewis quote.

No comments:

Post a Comment