Tuesday, August 19, 2014

How to make a nurse's day

     I have written before about how, week to week, it feels like different conditions come through the clinic in waves. One week it is hypertension, the next week it is heartburn. Apparently, this is our week for healthy infant twins, or as I'm starting to call it, my favorite week yet! 
     Yesterday we had a set of five week old twins, a boy and a girl. When I met Jhomline and Jhomley two weeks ago, I was concerned about Jhomley both because he was quite a bit smaller than his sister and because being newborn twins in Haiti is no easy task. Yesterday at their weigh in, each baby had gained at least a kilogram. There are few better ways to start the clinic week, than with babies gaining weight, especially when one of those babies snuggles when you pick him up. Ask me how I know.
     Then, this morning in clinic we had ten month old twin girls who weighed in at about 19 pounds each. I held both of them at once, and nearly threw my back out! Both of these girls were healthy overall, with only minor ailments, making their visit that much sweeter.



(Neither Mandina nor Mandana was really feeling the whole "let's take a picture" thing.)

     Completing my delight with today was a pair of healed ankles. I wrote last year about the young man being treated in our clinic for chronic leg ulcers and about our efforts to find a treatment regimen that would work for him. Last fall we found a regimen that seemed to be effective, and we have been using it ever since. His right ankle wound closed up in March (and has stayed that way!). His left ankle has taken a longer, but is now closed up as well. There is nothing like the sight of granulated skin tissue to put a grin on my face and a bounce in my step.
     Weeks like the last one, overwhelmed by grief and the brokenness of the world make these joys even more poignant. Will you join me in prayers of gratitude for the last couple of days in the MOHI clinic?


No comments:

Post a Comment