Friday, August 15, 2014

Haunts of Violence



"Have regard for your covenant,
because haunts of violence fill the dark places of the land."
Psalm 74:20

       There is another, deeper reason I have been wrestling writer's block lately. Ukraine. Iraq. Israel. Missouri. The last few weeks has been bloodier than Ancient Rome's Coliseum. Every time I check the news I find more reasons to grieve and fewer words to talk (or write) about them.
      I wrote a couple of months ago about how I have been learning about lament. I don't believe in coincidence, and I don't believe it is a mistake that I have been reading Jeremiah, Lamentations and some writings from Walter Brueggeman, all writers who feel deeply the brokenness of the world around them. My heart yearns for justice and healing, mourning the damage we do one another and the land around us. I find myself on my knees crying out with the Psalmist for my God to remember His covenant and See the violence all around.



No comments:

Post a Comment