Friday, October 3, 2014

School Nurse: Year Two

        As I mentioned in previous posts, school started back up at MOHI about a month ago, which meant I resumed my duties as school nurse. I have written before about some of what it looks like to act in this role, but things have changed a bit in how I relate to the kids as we start our second year together. Last year was a time of getting acquainted with one another. This year, we are working off of that foundation, which can be a lot of fun.
      Working off of that foundation means there's a first grader who stops on her way to lunch to fling her arms around my waist and proudly announce that she drinks lots of water. (I am forever telling the students that drinking more water will help heal near any ailment they come to me with.) It means there are twin preschoolers who jump up and hug me every time they see me. It means the teacher for our youngest preschool class brings a group by the clinic on a tour of the school, to introduce me and tell them they do not have to be afraid of seeing me
       It means welcoming teachers back, and rejoicing to see how they work with their students. It means birthday crowns in the preschool and singing and dancing in the yard when I arrive to start clinic. It means clinic consultations happen at a slightly higher volume because of the lectures going on in classrooms. It means a line of kids in the clinic in the afternoons, coloring and reading books and talking to me about what they see in the books. It means discussions on hand washing and trash disposal and tooth brushing. It means smiles and cheers and bustling activity. It means a continual influx of new reasons to fall in love with this country.

No comments:

Post a Comment