Friday, October 31, 2014

Two years in

       In a little over two weeks, I will be wrapping up my second year living in Haiti. Being me, I have feelings about this (having feelings is one of the things I'm best at doing). Two years ago when I was getting ready to embark on this adventure, I thought that if I could just check all the boxes, I could be prepared for what was coming. I think a part of me knew there was no way to really prepare for what was in store, but I tried. I read books on missions and development and what it means to do those things well. I listened to podcasts and sermons and prayed my little heart out.
       Then I got here, and it's been more than I could have dreamed. If you had told me at the end of October 2012 that in under two years, I would be running a clinic (with a staff!), I would have laughed you off. Yes, I dreamed of those things, but I didn't dare hope that my dreams could really happen. I didn't dare hope to find a mission with like minded people I could respect, work with, and when necessary submit to. I didn't dare hope that educational programs could be started. I definitely didn't dare hope that the first nurse we hired would be dedicated to learning every possible thing she could in order to better her professional practice.
       I was reflecting this morning on how deeply grateful I am for the last two years. They have been hard, enormously hard most days, but they have also been incredibly rich and beautiful. I have a group of coworkers I can laugh with. I have learned to make jokes in a second language. A huge chunk of my heart is now walking around with a couple of half-grown, moody teenage boys. I have been challenged, stretched and grown in a myriad of ways. My thinking on the kingdom of God and faith in general is more nuanced than before.
     As I start dreaming for year three, I am so incredibly grateful for the time I have spent here and cannot wait to see what 2015 holds. To all of you, who through prayer, finances, Skype calls and emails have made this thing happen, thank you for your support. As this communal culture continues to teach me, I couldn't do it without you!

No comments:

Post a Comment