Monday, September 16, 2013

Clinic Update

                I realized that I have not written a clinic update in quite a while, so I wanted to take the opportunity share some of the adventures that have been a part of my days here. For three weeks in a row we had various other American medical personnel working with me. That was a fantastic learning opportunity for me, as well as a chance to alleviate some of the anxiety I feel when all of the clinic responsibility falls on me.
                In August I told you all about Fritzon, the young man with the chronic leg ulcers. Working with him usually feels like three steps forward, two large steps back. We decided to hold off on surgery and are continuing to try some options with different wound dressings. I am thrilled to report that the wounds in both legs have decreased dramatically in size and depth in the last month. I am not thrilled to report that in the last ten days his infection has resumed doing everything in its power to make a major comeback. We are taking steps to fight it, but it is discouraging for all involved.
                Another little one that has been on my heart is a twelve month old girl named Chelda. I first met Chelda and her mama on August 13th. I was concerned about her weight, lack of appetite and developmental delays. Chelda’s mama brought her back in for regular check-ups and nutrition supplementation.  The baby developed regular diarrhea and continued to lose weight and refuse most food. Our medicines were not helping. Concerned, I was put in contact with a malnutrition treatment program located in the next town over and eventually ended up referring Chelda and her mama to another program where she is receiving intensive nutrition supplementation. I still have them coming into my clinic weekly for check-ups. I am thrilled to report that Chelda has begun gaining a little weight and now has the strength and energy to scream at the sight of me. I will take what I can get.
                Some days, I do not have many patients in the clinic. I try to take those opportunities to learn anything and everything that I can. One of the skills I most want to develop is suturing. We had a couple of teaching sessions when the physicians were down, but I felt nowhere near ready to actually suture a person. One of the physicians pointed out all of the information on the internet, so I have spent some time watching “how to suture” videos on YouTube. Here are the results of my first practice session, with a glove:




                Daily, I am learning so much about how to be a better nurse, how to better navigate this culture and ways to live well here. As a part of that, will you join with me in prayer for Fritzon and for Chelda and for all of my other patients, that they would receive the treatment they need and deserve, that my nursing practice here would be conducted with wisdom, discernment and most of all love? Thank you.

1 comment:

  1. You have the love part down pat! And plenty of wisdom and discernment just because you asked and God is faithful <3 God bless you and all you set your hands too.

    ReplyDelete