Saturday, September 21, 2013

TB Treatment

“Tuberculosis (TB) has been curable for more than 50 years, yet the global burden of morbidity and mortality due to TB continues to increase, the impact being greatest in sub-Saharan Africa. Approximately one-third of the world’s population is infected with Mycobacterium tuberculosis, with nearly 9 million developing active TB and almost 2 million dying of TB each year… Both globally and within countries, there is a striking link between TB and poverty.”

                I came across this quote yesterday. In so many ways it exemplifies why I am passionate about justice in healthcare. “9 million” is a staggering statistic, impossible to really wrap our brains around. Then I think about the people in my clinic every day. The older gentleman with the weight loss and chronic cough who I have to refer to the hospital for further testing, wishing I had the resources he needs; or the bony boy at our island mobile clinic, with dad who cares but whose treatment options are limited. When I see them as people more than numbers, no less made in the image of God than I am,  everything in me yearns to see these people receive the care they deserve.


(quote courtesy of Oxford Handbook of Tropical Medicine, 3rd Edition.)

No comments:

Post a Comment