Thursday, September 12, 2013

Words

                I love words. This pretty much sums up my feelings on the subject (geeky side note- how amazing is that website?!). I have shared about the frustration and confusion of learning a new language, but something I am coming to appreciate is the joy of learning all these new words. As I become (slightly) more comfortable with the language, my ears find new things to rejoice in. Rele (literally: call) is a musical word when it comes out of the mouth of a native Kreyol speaker. A shout of “pa gen moun?” (is anyone there), makes me smile every time.  Actually, even typing those words makes me smile. Manje. Kouto. Kiye. Chante. Machin. I roll these words around on my tongue, tasting them, trying and trying again to form them correctly, with the respect they deserve.
                I think the impetus for noticing these things comes from the same place as my post last week sharing the beauty of Bassin Bleu. So many things about this land bruise my heart every day. Taking the time to savor the joy and beauty that are also here, taking the time to remember to see them, keeps me hoping when things are dark. I find that that too is grace.

(Thank you Google Translate for helping  me with spelling!)

                

No comments:

Post a Comment